Monday, January 9, 2012

'Twas The Season...

 
This time of year is so festive and fun. I love the emphasis that is placed on giving, and really strive to stay away from the commercialization that exist around this holiday season. Thus, I focus on the big message of joy and giving.I try to shop locally, and get gifts that will not only give to the people that receive them, but also have a domino effect on others. This isn't possible for everyone I shop (or make gifts) for, but regardless I try to make each gift meaningful, simply because I am giving. The excitement and deep sense of gratification that I experience when finding gifts for my most loved ones is awesome.

This season always reminds me to serve those around me. Especially, since we are in a much more fortunate place than others. When David and I first got married, we talked about the goals we each had for our family. David mentioned he wanted us to be really close with one another, and I said, I wanted us to not only be close but also focus on expending our bonds outwards with other people in need. I've always dreamed of giving to the community alongside my kids. I want to instill in them the importance of giving, without expectations. When Gabriel was born I was so excited to begin this tradition. This was going to be the first year where we were going to directly involve him in an environment where hardcore service was taking place. I signed up for two different events to do together as a family. One would be the toys for tots 5k. I love running, and finding gifts, so it was a perfect combination. My plan was to take Gabriel to the store, have him help me select a gift for another boy and girl. We would donate them at the 5k event, and then run as a family. However, that was a big fail! The last part of my semester was so intense and busy, I barely had a chance to eat or shower. Unfortunately the event fell in the middle of this madness, and it did not work out. I was really disappointed. But since I've been working on not being so hard on myself, I tried to just roll with the punches on that one.

The next event I volunteered for was a brunch that was organized by a local playwright who wanted to put together the very first Christmas brunch for homeless female veterans and their children. I was beyond thrilled to be a part of such a respectable cause. I figured Gabriel could come, and somehow be a part of all the service. The day before the event, we got an email to not bring our families, if at all possible. It seemed like the brunch and other christmas festivities we were throwing were going to be such a big hit with the homeless women veterans, that they were concerned we would not have enough space. This was completely understandable. So I volunteered on my own. It was such an enriching experience. I'm not a person that is big into military, etc (specifically-the ideology behind war and defense). So I especially made the effort to serve a population that often goes unnoticed by me. This was an attempt to build a strong bond and connection with a group of people (the military) that I've never specifically served. Each of these women have a story, and are presently in tough situations. These are also women that have bravely served this country, and have children to support. I was happy to volunteer and help make this brunch a success for them. I loved my experience.

That also leads me to my next thought. This holiday season really is about uniting all of us. Regardless of the different holiday traditions that we adhere to, we are all celebrating something special. I find the two thoughts below so fitting:


"During the holiday season we become aware of our religious identifications. Amid this, let's also be aware of our Oneness identification. As much as you teach your children how to identify more with their religion, at the same time, also teach them to identify as a person-of-this-world - one with all cultures, all traditions, all religions, all peoples." -Dr. Shefali Tsabary
And I want Gabriel to be able to see things this way:


"As we put our christmas tree next to our menorah, my daughter made a video and said, "and today we celebrate Christmas, but tomorrow Hannukah, and then Purim and then Easter and Diwali. Different festivals, but same cast of characters." We are of One identity. -Dr. Shefali Tsabary
This season was filled with both thoughtfulness, service, and fun. Below are some pictures of what we got into:




           Celebrating my brother and sisters birthdays!
















And then we travelled to San Diego for Christmas and had fun at the beach, sea world, and riding around San Diego. Such a beautiful place, and a great time with Dave's parents:
























No comments: