Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Growing on Up

My baby boy is growing up. He is growing up way too fast actually.  I've been having a really hard time with this reality lately. For the last couple of weeks i've been on the brink of tears and have actually had two mini-breakdowns stemming from the reality that he is getting older and that time is not stopping for me to take all of this in.

Gabriel started preschool this monday.  He has moved up from his toddler class where he had strong friendships and two amazing teachers- Cintia & Rachel and has started his preschool class with new friends and another wonderful teacher, Jelena.

Personally, this is a bittersweet change for me as a parent.  Gabriel moving up to preschool symbolizes so much.  I can still remember him as an infant, as if it was yesterday.  His personality and spirit has not changed since the time I used to hold him in my arms and look into his beautiful and telling eyes.  He is still kind, loving, smart and mischievous.  He is still sensitive, deep feeling, and has his old soul.  We still have a very special and deep mother-son bond that is indescribable with words.  It is because of this special bond I have with him that I know how much he loves his toddler team teachers Cintia and Rachel.

Cintia first became his teacher when his old one left.  Gabriel bonded very quickly and deeply with Cintia.  I could tell that he connected with her and that their relationship would build into something important.  The very first day I met Cintia she told me the sweetest things about Gabriel, things that as his mother I  knew and thought as well.  But, it was her quick insight into my sweet little child that made me quickly realize that she authentically loved and cared for my son.  When I would drop him off in the morning, I always left so relieved because I knew he was in the best hands.  She is amazing.  Cintia is from Brazil and she embodies that warm latin american culture that I often miss. I am so grateful that Gabriel was able to have her as a teacher. 

Rachel became his teacher a few months after Cintia's co-teacher was moved to another department.  Rachel was so open and happy about being the new co-teacher, and I think that infectious bright attitude rubbed onto Gabriel.  He also built a quick and sweet bond with Rachel.  He was sure to include her in our conversations at home, and that's how I knew he loved his new teacher.  Gabriel was quick to give her goodbye hugs when he first met her and it was obvious that he felt comfortable around Rachel.  Rachel has been so kind to us and always willing to listen to us talk about the cute things Gabriel does at home.  Both Cintia and Rachel have made a great team together for Gabriel.  I am so grateful for each of them.  They have been such an important part of our lives. We will miss them greatly...good thing they are just down the hallway! 

As the time approached for Gabriel to have his last week with them, I felt so conflicted inside. Sad for Gabriel because I know that transitions in life are hard.  If they are hard for adults, imagine how confusing they must be for a child.  Cintia and Rachel have done a phenomenal job in supporting him in this new and exciting transition.  We also prepared him a lot at home.  His new teacher Jelena has been so awesome, supportive, and collaborative. Together- Gabriel's toddler teachers, his new preschool teacher, and us have really prepared him for this new exciting chapter in his life.  He has been very excited to enter preschool.  He has had a great week of making new friends and getting to know his new classroom.  I will blog about his preschool experience later.  This post is more importantly dedicated to celebrating a part of his life that has been so special to him and us.   

The collection of pictures below showcase a beautiful story.  He celebrates that he is getting older, and the photos embody the special relationships he has with both Cintia and Rachel. Both his teachers took these goodbye pictures of him, and I am continually impressed by them. I am so grateful I have these photographs to show Gabriel when he is older.  He already loves looking at these pictures and talking about his toddler teachers and his friends in the toddler program. 



 Graduating on Up


















Gabriel and all of his toddler class friends.  Missing are his friends Arden and Patrick.

Thank you so much Cintia and Rachel for being such beautiful and authentic people.  Gabriel has been so fortunate to have had you in this chapter of his life. He loves you both dearly. 





1 comment:

carrie said...

Oh my gosh Vanessa he is such a doll!!!