Friday, September 10, 2010

Huge Update

I have a few updates for you all! I have not written on our blog in forever and so my updates stem from way back. Some aspects of life have been so stressful and so I completely left the blogging world for a while. But i'm back! And life is great and the struggles I was going through are better!

Mother's Day and Father's Day

I got this awesome card on Mothers day that "Gabriel" wrote/drew for me. David interpreted it and it was just the best interpretation. My favorite was "...I tell my friends all the time that my mom is better than theirs, sometimes I think they get jealous and don't talk to me. That's ok I still talk to them anyway..." Gabriel is such a social child, and so, more often than not, he cheerfully approaches kids and starts talking out a storm and the kids just stare at him and walk away. It happens all the time, it makes me sad sometimes, but Gabriel totally doesn't care and keeps talking to them or finds someone new to befriend. He is just so sweet. So what "Gabriel" said to me in the mothers day card was just so appropriate for what really happens. I always wondered what the heck Gabriel says to all those kids! And, now I know why they just stare back at him and walk away! They are jealous that he has such an awesome mom, hahahaha! So funny. I love my little boy. I'm so grateful he is my son and that I have the chance to be his mother and teach him and give him all the love in the world. David and Gabriel are the most important people in my life.

For father's day I made a delicious quiche and then the rest of the day slowly but surely became a bit disastrous. I was attacked by terrible allergies and could not function at all except for sneezing. So we don't have much memories for that day except that I'm so grateful to have a husband that is such a great father to Gabriel. Gabriel is lucky to have David as his father. Instead of taking the day off of on Father's day, David had to step it up and do everything since I was immobilized by terrible allergies.

Our Birthdays

I turned 26 on May 16. I'm getting old! We ate at an awesome restaurant in Del Ray, a neighborhood of Alexandria. I told David that we are always going to go eat there when we are in D.C. The service was exceptional and so was the food, and I just love Del Ray. That whole little town is totally my cup o tea. We took Gabriel to a neighborhood park there and he just loved it too. Of course he did, he is my son, and we both love all the same things! David turned 30 something (I can't ever remember his age) on June 2. It's fun to share birthdays close together. For his birthday I took him out to Dora's Brazilian Grill in the Shockoe Bottom area of Richmond. Our food was great. He enjoyed tasting all the meats. I made him a cake that was pretty yummy too. I love birthdays, they are always so fun to celebrate. Here's to getting wiser!

Other News:
*David is done with his spring grad school class! We enjoyed the summer by doing a lot of things and he is now back in another class that I think we be really good for him. He is such a smart cookie, and that's one of the reason's I love him.

*I got accepted into graduate school!!! I just started my Masters of Social Work this Fall 2010 at VCU. I am beyond excited. The program is a great and prestigious program, it's ranked 14th in the nation, and not easy to get into. They only accepted 16% of the people that applied into the program. So I feel very proud of myself for getting in. I worked really hard to be a strong candidate for them, and i'm just so happy that I got in. All of my professors keep mentioning that those that got in are the best of the best and that we are a part of a very difficult, rigorous and prestigious program. This is a really important stepping stone in my life. With my degree, I will be able to be a private clinician/therapist. I'll be able to own my own mental health practice eventually. I'm so excited that this next stepping stone will allow me to fulfill one of my lifelong dreams. I'm also going to do a lot of child advocacy and (pro) immigration advocacy/education with this degree. It's such an important stepping stone for me. Words cannot express the exhilaration and passion I have for my future career, in a way, the nature of my career is who I am as a person. The ethics and values that encompass my professional career are totally in line with my life goals and my own personal values. So far I have thoroughly enjoyed all my classes and i'm very excited to begin my field internship as well. I will be writing a post on just grad school in the next week or so.


*We planted an organic garden with all sorts of vegetables. We are having a tough time growing some of our food because a sneaky animal of some kind is eating away at our crops! BUT, our strawberries have survived and are coming in. I had one the other day and it was the MOST DELICIOUS strawberry I have ever tasted in my life. We are getting great peppers to cook some fresh and spicy food with. Our tomatoes are also a really nice treat for me. Our squash and zucchini got taken over by some bugs and so we will have to retry next year. David is a great gardener. He did such a nice job of continually checking on the garden.

Our summer was occupied by many trips to farmhouses, the mountains, beach trips, fishing, the pool, and of course taking advantage of the weather to wash our car!! haha. Below are some summer pictures:




At a lake in Charlottesville





I was able to see most of my aunts that were visiting from El Salvador. What a nice treat.

Thanks for the free tickets to Bush Gardens Brandi!


Cleaning up his hair on the floor from his first hair cut!

Cousin Kimie came to visit!









During a hike in the mountains!

Gabriel's friends Solomon and Elle spotting the black bear at Maymont

Shirley Plantation

It was nice to see Dave's parents this summer. We went to the Outerbanks with them.

Natural Fisherman












He is not as skinny as the picture depicts!



I will be doing an entry on Gabriel soon (he is growing up like crazy, he is 18 months now) and also on Grad school.



3 comments:

Megan said...

I have been waiting forever for this. Loved the update. Miss ya.

Katie said...

I'm so happy things are going so well for you- you deserve it! Your master's program sounds amazing and I'm glad things are falling into place. Your comment about Dave turning 30-something totally made me laugh :)

House of Bunny Love said...

I totally missed this! I had just read the first one about Gabriel's school. What a great surprise. It's so good to hear about your life-you are one amazing, beautiful woman. And what a great family you have. I'm jealous.