Saturday, January 23, 2010

Invincible

My little angel is walking. For the longest time I kept wondering how I would feel when he started walking. I definitely thought I would break into tears when Gabriel took his first steps. Instead, I was completely elated and excited for him. Every time I thought about him walking, I kept looking at it like it was a sign of him getting older, and more independent. Which is an exciting thought. At the same time, it's a reality check. Gabriel is getting older. In fact, he will be a year old in a month or so. I have adored seeing my little baby grow up. I have also cherished every single second with him as my little baby. I have made the best of late night feedings or cuddling because I realize that when he is older, and no longer a baby, he will not need night time feedings or cuddling. I have preferred to rock him or cuddle him to sleep rather than just placing him in the crib to cry, because a good friend told me once, he will only be a baby for so long. Cuddling, and rocking him are sweet expressions of love, and let him know that I will take care of him, good care of him. I'm just lucky that he is a cuddler too.

Back on the subject of Gabriel walking. Well, it's such a symbolic thing. Little by little, Gabriel has learned how to walk. It started with rolling himself over, then by sitting up, then by crawling, then standing, then taking a couple wobbly steps, then taking a few more steps, and then fully walking. For him, it was a 10 month journey to get there. Babies are so persistent, aren't they? I'm just so amazed at how it all works. How someone so small can go around our house walking everywhere. We take care of our babies, and so they are dependent on us, but in reality, we are raising them to be independent from us. It all goes hand in hand. I love how it works. I think that's the reason i'm not as nostalgic as I thought I was going to be, about him walking. Instead, I feel so proud of him. Proud that he is becoming his own little person; walking around, babbling about who knows what, pointing to things, smiling, laughing, walking over to me to hold him and then walking away from me to explore this or that. It's amazing. There is so much that is going on in his little world and he is taking it all in. That's why he walks all over the same places, he really is just taking it all in. He is absolutely loving this new walking phase. He wanders around our house so focused sometimes, as if he does not realize that he is walking because he is so enthralled at something, and other times, he looks at me with a smile from ear to ear. He smiles from ear to ear because he is just so proud of himself for all the cool stuff he does, and he wants me to know it, and acknowledge it. I have fun acknowledging how amazing of a baby he is. How great these last 11 months with him have been!

This is a video of Gabriel taking his first steps. We were lucky to have our camera around to capture this moment. He was 10 months old here.



And this video was shot TODAY, at 11 months now. He feels so invincible.

No comments: