Thursday, February 12, 2009

Gabriel Update


Gabriel on 2-9-09. So cute.
He really is posing in this pic. Keith, he did blue steel for you!


A lot has happened with Gabriel lately. He sure has made us nervous these last couple of weeks! Starting with the fact that we found out I was already dilated and the next week found out that he was breech. :-/ We only have 14 days in counting til our due date. However, our doctor thinks he can come anytime. Here are the reasons why:
  • Jan. 29th 2009- My cervix was already dilated to 2 cm (Doctor was very surprised and told us at that point he could come any time)
  • Feb. 5th 2009- Still dilated to 2cm, but found out he was breech! Offered two choices, an external version to flip him, or schedule a c-section. (click on the links to learn more about each procedure) We told the doctor that a c-section was absolute last resort, and we wanted to schedule an external version to flip him. She scheduled it asap.
  • Feb. 6th 2009-Checked into St. Mary's Labor and Delivery. Got a few shots, including an epidural to numb my midsection so that my abdominal muscles would not spasm when our doctor performed the external version. If there was a complication, an emergency c-section would have to be done right away. We had a few scares during the procedure, his heart rate dropped from 160ish to 80ish at one point. On average, the procedure is only 58% effective. The procedure was successful! FYI, St. Mary's only does about 6 external versions a year, and my doctor had only done a couple in her entire 20ish year career.
  • Feb. 12 2009-Gabriel is still head down! Yay! I am now 3 cm dilated and 80% effaced(cervix thinned out). My tummy is measuring at 41 weeks, in reality i'm 38 weeks. Anytime according to the doctor! Yikes... :-)
We are lucky that Gabriel is a "very happy" baby according to the nurses and doctor's at St. Marys. He is really strong and healthy and we are so grateful. Hopefully the rest of the pregnancy will go without much surprises and we can have a natural delivery. Please pray for us. The thought of a c-section really scared us. After much research on my part, I do not see a single benefit to c-sections, unless it's to make sure that a healthy baby is born. So if for some reason Gabriel's health is compromised during labor, we will not hesitate to have one. One thing that we have learned in the last couple weeks is that a birth plan sure can change! And it's ok if it changes, as long as Gabriel get's here happy and healthy.

In other news, we finished
Lamaze. The classes were amazing! Both David and I found them extremely helpful, informative, and exciting! Labor wise, we are so ready, bring it on! According to David, it was the best spent money on Gabriel to date! I agree. We learned so much and it's not all about breathing exercises like people think. Even though the class was pricey, it was so worth it. We are also done with Gabriel's room! I love it. It's a soothing room, and i'll post pictures soon.

Our two year
dating anniversary is tomorrow, 2-13-09. I have to say that I didn't think love could grow so fast and deeply. I love David so much and know that i'm so lucky to have such an angel of a husband.

Please keep us in your prayers! The more the merrier!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Happy dating anniversary! Gabriel is adorable and I'm so happy the external version worked for you! I will be thinking about you lots in the next few weeks, sending thoughts for an easy delivery and a healthy, happy baby.

C$ said...

I'm thinking and praying for all three of you!!

Brenda said...

Oh your almost to the end. We are so excited for you and Dave. If you end up having to have a C-section, don't let it freak you out. Everything will be OK. After going into labor and pushing for two hours, there was no way Kyle was coming out and I ended up having to have a C-section with him. Later the DR. found out that my pelvis bone was just too flat to let any babies just slide on down. So I actually ended up having C-sections with all four of my kids. I'm glad your keeping it as a last resort, but don't worry if they tell you you need one. Everything will turn oout fine. Keep us updated. You're in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad everthing is going great! This boy has already faced two obstacles in his many woes in life. He is showing to be a strong warrior. He is going to come out fighting like a Spartan. "We are SPARTANS!!"

Lolo said...

So excited for you. Can't wait to hear the news of when he is actually hear. I am so glad he turned, too. Any day...you will do awesome!!!